Saturday, March 8, 2014

Looking Forward...Looking Back

Being in the middle of a life ‘re-set’ gives one the opportunity to look forward, to attempt to look around the next corner before you get there.  That’s exciting.  That’s the challenge.
To navigate the next corner you have to know where you’ve been, you have to know what you need to take with you, what you should leave behind and how aggressively to go into the corner.  In a recent blog post, Seth Godin spoke of the value of being forward-looking but also the danger of being too far ahead of the curve.  As I’ve been getting rid of baggage that I’m not taking forward,  I came upon the following conceptual map I designed for my organization’s web presence, circa 1999.  To put 1999 in a web perspective, that was the year I added DSL at my home, it was a time that few people were making purchases on the internet and organization email was the exception.
This was one of those personal archeological finds that reminded me of that danger.  Leverage your perspectives on the future but work on the organizational context; if you cannot bring people along at your pace you may need a new venue, somewhere around the next corner, somewhere all the fast riders want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment